Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hope Renewed

I sang at Celebrate Recovery this past Tuesday. CR is a great program to help people who are struggling with hurts, hangups and habits. I was a last minute trade because someone else was sick. I had been working on two songs. The first was "Wonderful Merciful Savior" which was very appropriate to celebrate Easter. I had also been working on "Temporary Home" a very touching song written by Carrie Underwood. It talks about at certain times in people's lives they may be in a tough situation but that it is just temporary. The last verse talks about a man who is obviously in the hospital and dying. He is surrounded by his family but he reminds them that this earth has just been his temporary home--then he looks up and says, "I can see God's face."

This song has gripped my heart the past month since I first heard it. For I couldn't help but go back in my memories and think of Stephen in those last hours before he died. He was so aware and so caring and gentle to all of us though he knew he was dying. He talked to me of saving a place for me to join him in heaven. Though that night would prove to be the saddest I have ever experienced, I wasn't without hope. I know that I will see Stephen again.

So on this night I was to sing I sat out in my car debating between the two. I went inside and decided I would just ask one person and whatever they said I would do. I have done that before. It didn't take Marcia long to say "Temporary Home". I said ok.

As I waited for my turn to sing I felt the Lord nudging me to share a bit before I sang. I don't normally do that anymore. So as I got up I explained my choice of song. Stephen was wiring what became "Wirick Hall" the very place in which I was going to sing. He wanted the addition to our church to be a place of ministry and if you have been in our church you know God is using that building and particularly "Wirick Hall" for great things. I said this song meant a lot to me because I have hope because this world was just Stephen's temporary home. Then I sang-choking up when I came to the last verse which I changed up a bit:

Dying man, hospital bed
The room is filled with people he loves.
And he says "Don't cry for me, I'll see you all one day."
He looks up and says, "I can see God's face."
This is my temporary home.
It's not where I belong.
Windows and rooms that I'm passing through.
This was just a stop on the way to where I'm going.
I'm not afraid because I know.
This was my temporary home.

Yes, this is our temporary home and as we celebrate Jesus' death on the cross and His resurrection this Easter, we do have HOPE! We have an eternal home in heaven!

Though my voice was simple and country I sang from my heart and I felt God's presence in that room. I know that was the song I was supposed to sing.

I know Stephen's greatest wish would still be for everyone to join him. It is my prayer that you would have the same assurance Stephen had as he stepped from his temporary home to heaven. If we admit we are sinners and that we need Jesus to forgive us our sins, He will forgive us and he can be our Lord and Savior. It's the best gift you will ever receive and you will have a permanent eternal home!

No comments:

Post a Comment