Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Memories--Oh how sweet

For the past few weeks I have been privileged to walk down memory lane. It came about because of my mother's 80th birthday. Years of "slides" were scanned by my niece Chelsea (thanks) of our childhood in Iowa all the way to the birth of my 3 children. I was filled with laughter at moments--thanks to the wonderful array of "glasses" I have worn, amazed at how "skinny" I used to be, and saddened by seeing those who no longer are present with us.

I was reminded of what a great honor it was to have Grandpa Bob join our family. Though he was not our "blood" grandpa he was the best gift we could have ever received as grandchildren. He took on 19 of us and made us "his". I remember going fishing with him and I will never forget the time he helped me knit my first  purple scarf. He loved grandma and made her happy. He had an infectious smile. I picture him most sitting in his recliner with Dudley (the chihuahua) in his shirt. They were inseparable.

I remember the day Grandpa died. It was 2 days after Christmas. He was working at a church breakfast when he realized he was not feeling well and tried to drive himself to the hospital. He made it only to the front of the hospital where he suffered a heart attack and died. What a loss for our family.

Grandma Cronkhite and I were close. I don't know why but we got along really well. I would spend hours with her playing "Hillbilly Canasta". It was so fun to be with her because she always had a fridge full of Pepsi and she loved to sneak "sugar" products even though she was diabetic. She always vowed me to secrecy from mom and her other kids. I kept her secret--I would have been a fool not to although it was partly my fault she never got her diabetes under control. I didn't fully understand that as a child.

I have such fond memories of Christmas Eve in Knoxville. We would eat a big dinner and grandma would have 1 gift for each of us. My most memorable gift was a huge stuffed dalmatian puppy. It sat on my bed for many years. With 19 grandchildren we were lucky to get 1. I appreciate that so much now that between Rick and I we have 15 grandchildren and I am sure there are more to come.

I have reconnected with many of my "Zimmerman" cousins. Kevin recently created "Tribe Zimmerman"--a special group on Facebook. It is fun to hear how everyone is doing and to feel somewhat a part of their lives again. Choosing to live in Oregon I don't see most of them unless I go home for a funeral. I hope to go home this summer and have a reunion.

I think of my sister Sheila who is the only cousin no longer alive. What fun she would have had with all these pictures and conversations. She was extremely social and provided my own children with fun and laughter. I am so glad she got to come to Oregon when Stephen died. It was the last time we saw each other. She was able to reconnect with my kids and they enjoyed her infectious personality.

I have many other thoughts swimming in this head of mine but I will close for now.

By the way, I chose the title for this blog "Temporary Home" because though this world has been my home almost 55 years I know that one day I will reach Heaven, my permanent home. I am so excited to be reunited with those who have gone before me. What a reunion that will be!

1 comment:

  1. This was a lot of fun to read Mom--I laughed picturing you and Grandma Cronk sneaking Pepsis, and wish I would have had a bit more time to know her.

    ReplyDelete